Date: 2003 – 2005
Purpose and outcomes:
- Rebuild Rwandas essential oil industry to create jobs and improve livelihoods.
- A joint effort between ASNAPP, Solace Ministries and World Relief, funded by USAID.
- Essential oils were identified as an attractive business opportunity by a market assesssment of agri producs in Rwanda.
- Geranium cultivars were assessed for growth and yield.
- 200 farmers were trained in cultivation of high quality Geranium for oil.
- A Community based company Ikirezi Natural Plant Products was established in 2005 and from 2006 has been implementing a new project for “Development of the Essential Oil Industry in Rwanda for Economic Growth and Diversification”. Ikirezi markets essential oils on the local and internation markets. Ikirezi works with 3 cooperatives with 150 members, 94% of whom are widows and orphans, and is diversifying into other oil products.
View the embedded image gallery online at: